The department started in 1924 in the first floor of the Rajah of Panagal building. The entire Department of Ophthalmology was shifted from King George Hospital to the current location ‐ Government Regional Eye Hospital in April 1990. The facility caters to the eye care needs of 5 North Andhra Pradesh coastal districts and adjoining states of Chattisgarh, MP and Orissa. The hospital covers 56,220 sq feet and is in an area of 5.78 acres. The regional eye hopsital is a referral hospital for all Ophthalmic services and consists of an outpatient department with 6 cubicles, an emergency department, laboratory facilities, pharmacy and specialty clinics such as cornea clinc, vitreo‐retinal services, glaucoma clinic, oculoplasty and squint correction, as well as corneal retrieval services. Over 53,000 patients were seen in 2022.
The hospital has 75 beds for inpatient management and an operation theatre with 8 full fledged cubicles. The “Kanti velugu” program helps the public with spectacle distribution and the “Avva,Tata” program for cataract surgeries. In addiiton Arogyasree and EHS facilities are available on site.
Teaching and training undergraduates is in 2 seminar halls with an E‐library. Faculty are actively involved in research, publications as
Dr. P. Krishna Murthy
Dr.M. Kalyana Babu
|6||Manga Venkat,MS||Associate Professor|
|7||A.Venkata Ramana,MS||Associate Professor|